Praise to Hathor!

Praise to Hathor!

Tuesday, 8 August 2017

Freedom and the Wild Maiden

Over the last couple of weeks I have begun Demi's 'Be More Mermaid' course and partially attended the Glastonbury Goddess Conference. I have found a common theme appearing during this time: Freedom & Wildness.


In week 1 of the course I identified that I am most drawn to the freedom, wildness and potential for exploration that Mermaids represent. During week 2 the course presented the idea of listening to my Mermaid voice, and embodying the Mermaid archetype in my life. 
In this second week I was in Glastonbury for the conference and spent a lot of time looking at artwork and was particularly taken by two images - Laura Daligan's Morrigan, and Suzi Elen Goose's latest Cerh image.

As The Morrigan

In participating in the morning ceremony of the art exhibition filled me with the primitive wildness of my ancient soul. My heartbeat echoed the drums, the songs carried me away to the mountains and forests... As I looked upon these images I felt a tug, a yearning to have my feet planted on the earth, soil and pigments on my skin, legs running, body dancing, voice howling...

The freedom and wildness that I was attracted to with the Mermaids was also what came up for me in gazing at these images. I carried these thoughts with me throughout the conference and when the Embodiment that I visited asked me what it was I wanted, I said Freedom.

Thinking about how I would live life differently if I acknowledged my Mermaid heart, that is my wild and free self, I highlighted the way I want to be:

- Eyes of awe for the world.
- Pleasure in self beauty.
- Affectionate love to those I care for.
- More spontaneous fun!
- Embrace my natural beauty as well as how I adorn myself.
- Enjoy and not be guilty of lazy relaxation.

Listening to my Mermaid voice, I heard Her say:

"I am so much more than the restrained, well behaved and anxious girl I hide behind. I have strength, knowledge, drive and power. There is magic in the world waiting for me to find it - to return home to. I have tethered myself down for so long, and I could just decide to set her free... Life is not a problem to be solved or a series of tasks. Life is BEING and FEELING.

I am yet to do the anointing and full moon ritual, and need to catch up on meditations. But I feel this is a strong lesson that I have known for some time, but not ben able to integrate. I guess the most important realisation is that all this is really there for the taking. I just need to wake up one day and dare."

All linked into this is the reintegration of my embodiment of the Wild Maiden. I have written before in this blog about how during Spiral One of the Avalon Training I realised that there is power within the Maiden. By the end of the training I decided to accept that Maiden/Pathfinder Goddess within me.

But now I understand it more fully. This first year of the Rhiannon training I still attempted to move into the Lover archetype, away from the young Maiden. But I can't yet, and I mustn't try. I need to embrace this stage in my life, as I am now. I've learnt that not only do I disempower myself by rejecting the Maiden. The weak, small, ignorant, chaste version of the Maiden I have been wanting to avoid is a result of the patriarchal disempowerment of Her. By continuing to see Her in that way I perpetuate this disempowerment. Just as Patriarchy disempowered the Wisewoman, to the status of a decrepit old hag, the Maiden has been boxed into the picture of na├»ve innocence. Well, they didn't want a roaring Shield Maiden coming after them now did they?

The Wild Maiden is She who is young, free, in awe of life, explorative, independent, energetic... She does not need to be a non-sexual 'virgin', or ignorant, as She possesses wisdom that is often lost with age, and can enjoy sexuality in an explorative way.

The Wild Maiden is thus,

Huntress. Shield Maiden. Moon Goddess. Warrioress. Daughter. Faery. Snake-Dancer. Mermaid. Wolf. Horse. Lioness.
Artemis. Diana. Freyja. Sekhmet. Rhiannon. Blodeuwedd. Aphrodite. Ishtar. Morrigan. Athena. Epona...

And more.

YoungShieldMaiden.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment